A BRIEF HISTORY OF FRIENDLY HOUSE
1894 Initial beginning of settlement movement in Mansfield known as the “Peoples Mission”.
1912 Mission reorganized as the “Friendly House Association” and located at 280 N. Main St.
1915 Friendly House provides the first free playground in Mansfield.
1918 Friendly House provides the first free kindergarten in Mansfield.
1920 Friendly House becomes one of the original charter members of the Community Fund (now the United Way)
1922 First English lessons for new Americans in Mansfield given at the Friendly House.
1925 First free baby clinic initiated at Friendly House.
1931-1972 Director Russell Gimbel and Co-Director Mary Gimbel, called “Mr. and Mrs. Friendly House”, devoted their lives to the community center.
1940 Gift of Hull Road property becomes the original Hidden Hollow Camp.
1948-1949 Construction and opening of present Friendly House on North Mulberry Street.
1950 Establishment of permanent Day Care Center.
1951 Gift and establishment of Hanna Road area playground.
1952 First Golden Age Club in city organized at Friendly House.
1960 The new Hidden Hollow Camp established on O’Possum Run Road. Happy Hollow Camp organized on Hull Road.
1968 Boals Pool constructed at Friendly House.
1972-1974 Pete Battisti, Director of Friendly House
1974-1996 Bernard Dillon, Director of Friendly House.
1985 Warren Rupp Observatory built at Hidden Hollow Camp.
1996-2006 Thelda Dillon, Director of Friendly House
1997 “Bernie’s Playground” built at Friendly House with memorial contributions in memory of Director, Bernard Dillon.
1998 Construction of new lodge at Happy Hollow Day Camp
2007-present Terry Conard, Director of Friendly House
2017 Construction of Sand Volleyball Pit/Playground at Friendly House
2017 New Waste Water Treatment Plant constructed at Hidden Hollow Camp
2018-2019 Construction of new Barn at Hidden Hollow Camp
2019 Construction of two new cabins at Happy Hollow Day Camp
2019-2020 Construction of new parking lots at Friendly House