Friendly House is the best place in Richland County for swim lessons. Our staff of experienced Water Safety Instructors are ready to give your child an enjoyable learning experience and a positive attitude toward water safety. Our classes are taught by American Red Cross trained instructors.
Lessons are quarterly (fall, winter, spring, and summer) and you must be pre-registered for all lessons. To give individualized instruction, the classes are limited in size. All registrations are taken on a first come, first serve basis. No phone registrations will be accepted.
2019 Summer Lesson registration begins May 28, 2019.
Session #1: June 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20
Session #2: July 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18
Session #3: July 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, Aug. 1
10-10:30am: Advanced Minkins/Jr. Beginners
10:45-11:15am: Beginners/Advance Beginners
11:30-12:15pm: Lifeguard Precourse* (S3 only)
Preschool Learn to Swim (ages 3-5)
- Minikins: The Minikins class is for ages 3 to 5 that cannot do the following: put face in water, blow bubbles, float on front and back, swim with Friendly House floaters, and jump and push off pool wall to instructor. Child MUST be 3 years of age before class begins.
- Advanced Minikins: Child must not have any fear of the water and have all Minikins skills.
- Jr. Beginners: Child must have all Minikins & Adv. Minikins skills. Child must be 4 or 5 years of age to enroll in the class. Child must be able to motivate in the water without the use of floaters. The basic skills of beginners are stressed.
School Age Learn to Swim (ages 6 and up)
- Beginners: There are no swimming skills or requirements for entrance into this class. The objective of this class is to equip individuals with basic swimming skills and knowledge.
- Advanced Beginners: An advanced beginner strives to further develop all the skills taught in beginner class and increase endurance as well as improving the ability of the child to care for themselves and others while in the water.
- Intermediates: The Intermediates class demands coordination throughout distance swims in the crawl stroke, elementary backstroke, side stroke, backstroke, and breaststroke and the turns used with each stroke.
- Swimmers: The Swimmers class strives to further develop all skills, surface diving and adaptations necessary for life saving and personal survival skills. Also focuses on building endurance with extending distance swims.
Adult Beginners (age 16 and up)
- Adult Beginners: This new class is for any non-swimmer over the age of 16 who would like to learn to swim. This is a basic learn to swim class. This class is not offered in the summer.
Lifeguard Precourse (age 14 and up)
- Are you thinking of becoming a lifeguard? This class is designed to get a head start on conditioning and learning starter skills to prepare you for the full lifeguarding class. *This class is only offered for Summer Lessons, session #3 at this time.